Saturday, July 21, 2007

Library 2.0 & Web 2.0

Reading these progressive library pieces make me think of my experiences with libraries. I didn't care for going to the library when I was a child. I would find a children's title I enjoyed occasionally, but for the most part I wasn't into it. However, when I started working here I started getting into the library happenings. I loved the look of the 2nd floor and the future it conveyed. I also loved the fact that younger generations of patrons felt comfortable and enjoyed using the library. I have changed over from someone who didn't care for libraries, to a library staff member, and now a library staff member that wants to pursue library school and work within a library for a long time. I enjoyed reading the "Away from the "icebergs"" piece because I think it correctly painted the picture of an evolving library, which I find very exciting. I was at my parents house recently (Ironton, OH) and the drove past the local library which has been remodeled. I couldn't get enough of looking at the place. It now looks so warm and inviting. It's someplace that I would now love to go. I have been changed personally by changes within libraries and I think that the future of libraries is very exciting.

1 comment:

Nancy S. said...

I am curious about your remodeled public library--was there anything in particular that make it appear like a place you wanted to visit?

I too, was intrigued about the comments on libraries of the future. The OCLC authors made some interesting points that I felt could be useful for Alden Library as we plan our services.